You are here
Ozonetherapy as a new antimicrobic strategy
Development of antibiotic-resistant strains of microorganisms is a dangerous phenomenon, actively progressing every year. The uncontrolled use of antibiotics for animals, accumulation in products of animal origin ultimately poses a danger to human health. That is why a decrease in the use of antibiotics and searching alternatives of antibiotic is acute and relevant issues. Therefore, the aim of our research was to study the antimicrobial properties of ozone in relation to pathogens of purulent infection and to show the possibility of using ozone therapy as a potential method of antimicrobial therapy for animals. The materials for determining antimicrobial effect of ozone was 12 samples of purulent exudate in an amount of 2 ml, taken from dogs with purulent wounds before and after sanitation by ozonized 0.87% NaCl solution. Complexity course of wound process with purulent inflammation largely depends on from degree of microbial contamination of the wound and species composition of microorganisms. Therefore, an important aspect in our research was the study of the antimicrobial properties of ozone on its action of purulent exudate «in vitro» and «in vivo» and the determination of the bactericidal effect on microorganisms. The most stable and informative indicator of assessing nature of purulent-inflammatory process is the determination of total number of microorganisms in 1 ml of discharge from a purulent wound. The total microbial number was determined by the method of serial dilutions according to Pasteur. Serial ten-fold dilutions from 10-1 to 10-9 were prepared from purulent exudate in test tubes with sterile MPB (9 ml each). Species composition of microorganisms was determined by cultural and biochemical properties of cultivated microbial colonies, followed microscopy of smears from pure cultures stained using method of Gram. Samples of purulent exudate were subjected to microbiological examination before treatment, and after 30 minutes of washing by ozonized isotonic solution NaCl (ozone concentration of 7 mg/ml). A microbiological study of purulent exudate was also carried out, pre-treated with ozone at a concentration of 7 mg/ml «in vitro» in a test tube in an amount of 2 ml by passing it through exudate (sparging) at a flow rate of 0.5 L/min and a processing time of 10 min. Samples were examined immediately after sampling and sparging. "Microbial landscapes" of purulent wounds were presented by associations of Staph. aureus, Str. faecalis, E. coli. Microbial seeding of purulent exudate for treatment ranged from 6.6 • 10-10 to 3.7 • 10-8 CFU/ml, however, after 10 min of bubbling «in vitro» at an ozone concentration of 7 mg/ml, the degree of microbial seeding of samples did not exceed 10-4 CFU/ml and ranged from 3.1 • 10-4 to 2.3• 10-3 CFU/ml. As shown by the results of microbiological studies, the growth of microorganisms on a nutrient medium in bacteriological plates with purulent exudate samples treated with ozone with concentration of 7 mg/ml was already absent at 10-5 degrees of dilution, which indicates the pronounced antimicrobial properties of ozone. The study «in vivo»also indicates that even after a single use of an ozonized isotonic NaCl solution at an ozone concentration of 7 mg/ml, it completely prevents the growth of Staph. aureus, Str. faecalis, E. coli. and causes 100% death mentioned associations of microorganisms. The results of microbiological studies are confirmed by clinical data. So, on the third day of treatment, the animals in the lesion zone had a small amount of wound exudate, and the microbial number of the latter was 1.4 • 10-4 − 3.1 • 10-³ CFU/ml, below the critical level of contamination and in most cases not leads to the progression of a purulent-inflammatory process. Ozone destroys all types of bacteria, viruses, fungi and protozoa. At the same time, ozone at a concentration of 7 mg/ ml does not have an irritating effect on body tissues, therefore, ozone therapy can be considered as an additional or alternative therapy of bacterial infection Key words: ozone, ozonetherapy, purulent wounds, antibiotic resistance.
- Rowen Robert, Jay. (2018). Ozone therapy as a primary and sole treatment for acute bacterial infection: case report. Medical Gas Research. no. 8(3), pp. 121–124. Available at:https: //doi.org/10.4103/2045-9912.241078
- Rowen Robert, Jay. (2018). Ozone therapy in conjunction with oral antibiotics as a successful primary and sole treatment for chronic septic prosthetic joint: review and case report. Medical Gas Research. no. 8(2), pp. 67–71. Available at:https: //doi.org/10.4103/2045-9912.235139
- Otchych, O. (2012). Biolohichni aspekty vplyvu ozonu na krov [Biological aspects of ozone effect on blood]. Visnyk Lvivskoho universytetu [Bulletin of Lviv University]. Vol. 59. pp. 23–36.
- Babior, B.M., Takeuchi, C., Ruedi, J., Gutierrez, A., Wentworth, P. (2003). Investigating antibody-catalyzed ozone generation by human neutrophils. Jr. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. no. 100, pp. 3031–3034. Available at:https: //doi. org/10.1073/pnas.0530251100
- Buric, J., Berjano, P., Damilano M. (2019). Severe Spinal Surgery Infection and Local Ozone Therapy as Complementary Treatment: A Case Report. International Jorney of Spine Surgery. no. 13(4), pp. 371–376. Available at:https: //doi.org/10.14444/6050
- Hernández, F.A. (2007). To what does ozone therapy need a real biochemical control system? Asesment and importance of oxidative stress. Arch. Medical Research. no. 38, pp. 571–578. Available at:https: //doi.org/10.1016/j.arcmed. 2007.03.002
- Pidborska, R.V., Shahanenko, V.S. (2016). Ozonoterapiia – bezpechna alternatyva antybiotykoterapii [Ozone therapy is a safe alternative to antibiotic therapy]. Naukovyi visnyk veterynarnoi medytsyny [Scientific Bulletin of Veterinary Medicine]. Vol. 2, pp. 69–74.
- Tiwari S., Avinash, A., Katiyar, S. (2017). Dental applications of ozone therapy: a review of literature. Saudi Jornal. Dental Research. no. 8(1), pp. 105–111.
- Amin Laila, E. (2018). Biological assessment of ozone therapy on experimental oral candidiasis in immunosuppressed rats. Biochem Biophys Rep. no. 15, pp. 57–60. Available at:https: //doi.org/10.1016/J.BBREP.2018.06.007
- Rosul, M.V., Patskan, B.M. (2016). Mikrobiolohichnyi monitorynh ran u khvorykh na syndrome stopy diabetyka na foni ozonoterapii v praktytsi simeinoho likaria [Microbiological monitoring of wounds in patients with diabetic foot syndrome on the background of ozone therapy in the practice of a family doctor]. Zdorovianatsii [The health of the nation]. no. 1–2 (37–38), pp. 165–169.
- Bocci, V. (2011). Ozone: a new medical drug. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer. pp. 1–4.
- Kholodniak, O.V. (2017). Likuvannia, profilaktyka ta prohnozuvannia lokalizovanykh zapalnykh zakhvoriuvan tkanyn parodonta: dys. … kand. med. nauk: spets. 14.01.22. [Treatment, prevention and forecasting of the localized inflammatory diseases of periodontal tissues: the dissertation of the candidate of medical sciences: special. 01/14/22]. Uzhhorod, 204 p.
- Rukhliada, V.V., Kulinych, M.M., Zotsenko, V.M. (1999). Zahalna mikrobiolohiia :metodychni vkazivky z mikrobiolohichnykh metodiv doslidzhen [General microbiology: guidelines for microbiological research methods]. Bila Tserkva: BSAU, 52 p.
- Khoulta, Dzh., Kryh, N., Snyt, P. (1997). Opredelytel bakteryi Berdzhy [Bergey's guide to bacteria]. 9-yzd., 2- tomnoe [9-th ed., 2 volumes]. M: Peace, 799 p.
- Pidborska, R.V. (2009). Vplyv ozonovanoho fiziolohichnoho rozchynu na stan peroksydnoho hemolizu erytrotsytiv ta yikh populiatsiinyi sklad u krovi sobak [The effect of ozonated saline on the state of peroxide hemolysis of erythrocytes and their population composition in the blood of dogs]. Nauk. visnykLuhan. nats. ahrar. un-tu: veterynarni nauky [Scientific Bulletin of Luhansk National Agrarian University: Veterinary Sciences]. Lugansk, no. 9, pp. 64–68.
- Ilnitskyi, M.H., Pidborska, R.V., Taranukha, S.I. (2009). Vplyv riznykh kontsentratsii ozono-kysnevoi sumishi na mikrobnyi peizazh hniinykh ran u sobak [Influence of different concentrations of ozone-oxygen mixture on the microbial landscape of purulent wounds in dogs]. Visnyk Poltav. derzh. ahrar. akad. [Bulletin of the Poltava State Agrarian Academy]. Poltava, no. 4, pp. 154–158.
- Ilnitskyi M.H., Pidborska, R.V. (2015). Ozonoterapiia yak bezpechnyi ta perspektyvnyi metod u veterynarnii praktytsi [Ozone therapy as a safe and promising method in veterinary practice]. Visnyk ZhNAEU [Bulletin of Zhytomyr National Agroecological University]. no. 2 (50), Vol. 1, pp. 348–354.
- Ilnitskyi, M.H., Pidborska, R.V., Solodchuk, V.L. (2011). Ozonoterapiia u praktytsi veterynarnoi khirurhii: metodychni rekomendatsii [Ozone therapy in the practice of veterinary surgery: guidelines]. Bila Tserkva, 23 p.
- Parva, J., Gunjan, P., Priti, Y. (2012). Ozone therapy: the alternative medicine of future. Rev. Art. Pharm. Sci. Vol. 2, Issue 4, pp. 196–203.
- Seidler, V., Linetskiy, I., Hubalkova, H. (2008). Ozone and its usage in general medicine and dentistry. A review article. Prague Med. Report. Vol. 109, no.1, pp. 5–13. PMID: 19097384